Subject: Re: bug#5538: 23.1.92; Enhancement: bookmark.el should keep bookmarks sorted in ~/.emacs.bmk

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 17:32:28 +0200

Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]> writes:

> I notice that bookmark.el doesn't keep my bookmarks file ~/.emacs.bmk
> sorted, but I wish it would: it would make it easier to keep that file
> in a revision control system.  In particular, it would make it easier to
> resolve conflicts in that file.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately didn't get any
response at the time.)

I'm not familiar with bookmark.el, but it has this comment:

;; The bookmark list is sorted lexically by default, but you can turn
;; this off by setting bookmark-sort-flag to nil.  If it is nil, then
;; the list will be presented in the order it is recorded
;; (chronologically), which is actually fairly useful as well.

So it's supposed to be sorted (one way or the other).

Do you have a recipe for reproducing the non-sortedness of the bookmark
file?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no