Subject: bug#53200: closed (Re: bug#55362: 29.0.50; Super key no longer works on Wayland)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:09:03 +0000

Your bug report

#55362: 29.0.50; C-S-u shortcut fails with 'PGTK' enable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55362: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55362
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55362: 29.0.50; Super key no longer works on Wayland
From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Thomas Jost <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:08:35 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Not before Emacs 29 is released, or otherwise the GTK developers will
> never fix their thing, and we will be stuck maintaining yet another
> broken hack to work around one of their bugs until the end of time,
> which is several degrees of magnitude more confusing because we now have
> two configurations where sometimes identical, and sometimes different
> GTK bugs have to be worked around.

And the bug has now been fixed in GTK.  The fix should be released and
reach most users rather quickly, so I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 29.0.50; C-S-u shortcut fails with 'PGTK' enable
From: Campbell Barton <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 15:56:03 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With PGTK enabled (--with-pgtk) the following occurs:

- Press C-S-u
- Press a

The character 'a' is entered.

Without PGTK enabled, the following occurs:

- Press C-S-u
- Press a

The character 'aaaa' is entered 4x.

Note that PGTK seems to swallow this binding, since it's not possible to
check what the shortcut does by pressing:

C-H, K, C-S-u

Which reports without PGTK: (universal-argument)

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-01-12 built on austpc
Repository revision: 8555a3e1ed1d34cbaa172bde86eb3b11a1cd7940
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/emacs --with-sound=no --disable-acl
 --with-file-notification=no --with-xpm --with-native-compilation
 --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --without-rsvg
 --without-lcms2 --without-libsystemd --without-gsettings
 --without-harfbuzz --without-m17n-flt --without-libotf --without-gpm
 --without-dbus --without-gsettings --without-gconf --without-selinux
 --without-gnutls --with-pgtk --without-makeinfo --without-libgmp
 --with-zlib --with-compress-install --with-threads
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O3 -mtune=native -march=native -pipe
 -fomit-frame-pointer''

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP PDUMPER
PGTK PNG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
pgtk multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45508 6842)
 (symbols 48 5609 1)
 (strings 32 18557 3267)
 (string-bytes 1 622864)
 (vectors 16 10816)
 (vector-slots 8 157953 15748)
 (floats 8 25 28)
 (intervals 56 255 0)
 (buffers 992 11))