Subject: bug#55362: 29.0.50; Super key no longer works on Wayland

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 17:25:09 +0300

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 22:08:03 +0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I agree.  At the very least, how about a knob, by default off, to
> > restore the previous behavior; we could then have that in PROBLEMS.
> 
> If we do that, then in my experience this bug will never be fixed in
> GTK, and we will be stuck maintaining this awful hack until the end of
> time.

IMO, we should think about our users first.  Besides, there's no
guarantee whatsoever that the bug will be fix if we don't work around
it.

> It's okay to add such a knob assuming the GTK bug still isn't fixed
> approaching the release of Emacs 29, but not now, when that release is
> still several years away.

I think this is a mistake.  We cause a disadvantage to our users now
because we believe the GTK developers will fix this later.  There's no
reason for that hope based on our past experience.  And if you believe
GTK developers pay such attention to what we do or don't do, why not
assume that they will read this discussion and say "okay, those Emacs
guys can solve this themselves if they want to"?