Subject: bug#55360: closed (Re: bug#58375: Installer does not show what is being downloaded)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 14:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55360: [Installer] ‘guix system init’ displays dots instead of progress bars

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55360: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55360
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#58375: Installer does not show what is being downloaded
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 16:40:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey,

Thanks for having a look!

> I haven’t actually tested the patch but it LGTM.  One thing to check is
> whether ‘terminal-window-size’ returns something sensible for the
> pseudo-terminal; it could be that we need an extra ioctl so the
> pseudo-terminal has the same size as the actual terminal.

Well it returns 0 for all fields, but I tested on several screen sizes
and everything seems fine so I went ahead.

While testing I noticed two new issues though:

1. When the disk is GPT partitionned there is no confirmation page in
  "run-label-page". Something I missed in #57232.

2. When there is an exception in run-external-command-with-handler/tty
    for instance, the backtrace page is displayed in the PTY and the
    keyboard shortcuts do not work anymore.

I'll address point 1 shortly but could use some advice for point 2.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: [Installer] ‘guix system init’ displays dots instead of progress bars
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 11:23:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

I’ve used an installer built from this commit:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Generation 214	May 02 2022 21:44:14	(current)
  guix 6b588da
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 6b588da368c77cde82ea2f22ca315116228777ad
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

During installation, ‘guix system init’ displays dots instead of
progress bars for downloads and such.

This suggests that ‘display-download-progress’ gets #:tty? #f.  This may
be a side effect of running it in a pipe in
‘run-external-command-with-handler’.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.