Subject: Re: bug#58375: Installer does not show what is being downloaded

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 17:17:47 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> So I implemented your proposal. It seems to be working quite well. As
> discussed on #guix, we could avoid to dump the download bars to the
> syslog if the "guix system init" command succeeds. However, it seems
> quite tricky in the current implementation where the syslog dumping is
> actually a hook (%syslog-line-hook).

Yes.

I haven’t actually tested the patch but it LGTM.  One thing to check is
whether ‘terminal-window-size’ returns something sensible for the
pseudo-terminal; it could be that we need an extra ioctl so the
pseudo-terminal has the same size as the actual terminal.

> Fixing this issue, I also realized that when the "guix system init"
> command fails, the user is only offered to resume the installation or
> restart it.
>
> In cases where "guix system init" failed because of a network issue, or
> because a partition was too small, restarting/resuming seems like the
> right thing to do.
>
> However, when the installer failed because "guix system init" crashed or
> segfaulted, restarting/resuming won't probably help, and dumping the
> crash is probably the best way to get help. That's why I added in a
> second patch, a new button "Report the failure" to the
> "run-install-failed-page".

Neat!

> From c6286404e9c4c0dc302c3d398a8f27b050cf4ce0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 17:28:27 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH 1/2] installer: Run the "guix system init" command in a PTY.
>
> Fixes: <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55360>
>
> * gnu/installer/utils.scm (run-external-command-with-handler/tty): New
> procedure.
> (run-external-command-with-line-hooks, run-command): Add a TTY? argument.
> * gnu/installer/final.scm (install-system): Call run-command with TTY?
> argument set to #true.

LGTM, modulo the terminal size issue mentioned above.

> From 159b82a013cad8c3c698031cce9ee07956153da3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 17:33:28 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] installer: Propose the user to report a "guix system
>  init" failure.
>
> * gnu/installer/newt/final.scm (run-install-failed-page): Add a "Report the
> failure" button.

LGTM.

Thank you!

Ludo’.