Subject: bug#55335: openssh-service no longer listens on IPv6

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 17:49:31 +0200

Hi,

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Switching to listing via IPv6 should support IPv4 connections, as Linux is
> capable of translating IPv4 connections to IPv6. I think there's a risk that
> switching to this approach will affect some uses of the openssh
> service. Therefore, this commit makes this a configuration option, which is #f
> by default.

[...]

> +                       (make-socket-address #$(if (openssh-listen-via-ipv6? config)
> +                                                  #~AF_INET6
> +                                                  #~AF_INET)
> +                                            INADDR_ANY
>                                              #$port-number)

Thinking about it, what do you think is the risk of using AF_INET6
unconditionally?

AFAICS it just works.  Is there a switch somewhere that might affect
that behavior?

(I still think that changing ‘make-inetd-constructor’ to accept multiple
addresses is a better fix longer-term, but if we can have this quick
fix, that’s great.)

Ludo’.