Subject: bug#55332: 29.0.50; Greek tutorial multiline [...] mishandled

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:52:43 +0300

Protesilaos Stavrou [2022-05-09 10:45 +0300] wrote:

> [ By the way, what do you think about my choice of word for "buffer"?
>   It is the one I had the most doubts about... ]

Hm, I'm not a great judge of Greek translations of computing terms,
because my education has all been in English.

That said, αποσβεστήρας (damper / shock absorber) does not strike me as
the intended meaning of 'buffer' in Emacs:

  buffer noun [1]

  1 an apparatus designed to take the shock when an object such as a
  railway carriage or a ship hits something, especially a device using
  springs, on a railway carriage, etc, or a cushion of rope on a ship.

  2 a person or thing which protects from harm or shock, etc, or makes
  its impact less damaging or severe.

Rather, I think it should be interpreted as:

  3 /computing/ a temporary storage area for data that is being
  transmitted from the central processing unit to an output device such
  as a printer.

Thomas Moraitis' 1990 translation of K&R's The C Programming Language,
2nd Edition refers to a buffer as ενδιάμεση αποθήκευση (intermediate
storage), whereas Wikipedia uses προσωρινή μνήμη (temporary memory) or
ενδιάμεση μνήμη (intermediate memory) [2].

Any of these would be fine with me, but they all lack the uniqueness and
self-containment of αποσβεστήρας :).  In all cases we should probably
avoid στιλβωτικό (polisher/shiner) ;).

[1]: https://chambers.co.uk/search/?title=21st&query=buffer
[2]: https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/Προσωρινή_μνήμη_(υπολογιστές)

>> IOW, the multiline Greek translation of:
>>
>>   [Middle of page left blank for didactic purposes.   Text continues below]
>>
>> is either half-erased in short frames, or divided by several blank lines
>> in tall frames.
>>
>> One solution would be to limit the Greek translation to a single line as
>> in other translations,
>
> I shortened it to fit on a single line.  See attached patch.

Thanks,

-- 
Basil