Subject: Re: bug#55330: 29.0.50; Fix AUCTeX entry in FAQ For MS Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 14:50:40 +0300

> From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 08:42:58 +0200
> 
> AUCTeX project isn't providing pre-compiled versions for Windows
> anymore.  So I suggest this change to efaq-win32.texi:
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> diff --git a/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi b/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi
> index 8dcdb121ab..960c2f87da 100644
> --- a/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi
> +++ b/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi
> @@ -1754,10 +1754,9 @@ AUCTeX
> 
>  AUCTeX is an Emacs package for writing LaTeX files, which also
>  includes preview-latex, an Emacs mode for previewing the formatted
> -contents of LaTeX documents.  Pre-compiled versions for Windows are
> -available from
> -@uref{https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html, the
> -AUCTeX site}.
> +contents of LaTeX documents.  AUCTeX is available from
> +@uref{https://elpa.gnu.org, GNU ELPA} and can be installed with the
> +command @kbd{M-x list-packages}.
> 
>  @node Spell check
>  @section How do I perform spell checks?
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand how the modified entry will be
useful for users of Emacs on MS-Windows.  The original entry answers
the following question:

  How do I use TeX with Emacs?

and goes on to describe the version of AUCTeX that can be used OOTB on
MS-Windows.  If AUCTeX no longer provides such a package, it is IMO
better to simply remove this subsection, instead of pointing users to
a package that is not in any ways specific for MS-Windows, and won't
help them use AUCTeX more than the upstream distribution will.

IOW, the w32 Emacs FAQ is supposed to provide information that makes
installation and use of Emacs on Windows easier, and this new text
fails short of that mark.

Or what am I missing?