Subject: bug#55319: closed (Re: bug#55319: 28.1.50; Abugida not rendered correctly (MacOS))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 16:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55319: 28.1.50; Abugida not rendered correctly (MacOS)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55319: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55319
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55319: 28.1.50; Abugida not rendered correctly (MacOS)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Kai Ma <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 19:12:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Kai Ma <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 23:43:36 +0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
>  Emacs doesn't discover composition rules. The composition rules are
>  part of the Emacs code, see the various *.el files in lisp/language/
>  directory. Some of these composition rules are derived automatically
>  from character properties, see composite.el and characters.el (which
>  cannot happen without Emacs knowing up-front about the properties).
> 
> Thanks for this. I didn’t know Emacs needed to manually compose characters.
> 
> Feel free to close this report, since it is due to my misunderstanding, not a real problem nor a real “wishlist”.

Done.

Subject: 28.1.50; Abugida not rendered correctly (MacOS)
From: Kai Ma <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 19:45:04 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I installed the Crisa Regular font [1] (font name is “Crisa”) and tried to type some zbalermorna [2] (an abugida) into Emacs.

However, the positions of the vowels are not correct, as shown in the attached screenshot obtained in emacs -Q.
The vowels should be right above the constants.

The correct rendering can be seen at this web page [3] (using a decent modern Web browser).
I can confirm other applications using the system GUI toolkit works, e.g. TextEdit.app.

[1] https://github.com/jackhumbert/zbalermorna/tree/master/fonts/
[2] https://jackhumbert.github.io/zbalermorna/
[3] https://jackhumbert.github.io/zbalermorna/examiner/#crisa-regular

In GNU Emacs 28.1.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.4.0, NS appkit-2113.40 Version 12.3.1 (Build 21E258))
 of 2022-04-05 built on Kais-MacBook.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@28/28.0.50/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@28/28.0.50 --with-xml2
 --with-gnutls --with-native-compilation --with-dbus
 --without-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-xwidgets
 --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained
 'CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/gmp/include -I/usr/local/opt/jpeg/include'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/gcc/11 -I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include -I/usr/local/opt/gmp/include
 -I/usr/local/opt/jpeg/include''

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_CN@calendar=iso8601.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  text-scale-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra sort mail-extr emacsbug
message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
text-property-search seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils face-remap cus-start cus-load rfc1345 quail help-mode lojban
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs
cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 124050 4825)
 (symbols 48 9858 1)
 (strings 32 28293 1994)
 (string-bytes 1 877108)
 (vectors 16 24427)
 (vector-slots 8 422635 7736)
 (floats 8 34 43)
 (intervals 56 1634 0)
 (buffers 992 14))