Subject: bug#55310: closed (Re: bug#55310: 27.2; vc-revert: unhelpful error message when modified buffers exist)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2025 03:35:03 +0000

Your bug report

#55310: 27.2; vc-revert: unhelpful error message when modified buffers exist

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55310: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55310
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55310: 27.2; vc-revert: unhelpful error message when modified buffers exist
From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2025 11:33:45 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 31.1

Hello,

On Sat 15 Mar 2025 at 10:18pm +02, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> On 15/03/2025 10:04, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> Hello again Dmitry,
>> Okay, how do these look?
>
> Looking good, thanks.

Thanks for looking them over.  Installed and closing the bug.

-- 
Sean Whitton

Subject: 27.2; vc-revert: unhelpful error message when modified buffers exist
From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 03:41:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When doing vc-revert in a vc-dir buffer, and when one has a bunch of
open files, one somtimes gets the unhelpful message:

  vc-revert: Please kill or save all modified buffers before reverting

Nicer would be prompting the user to kill/save those buffers, or list them.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version 3.24.33)
 of 2022-04-09 built on amd64.ports.openbsd.org
System Description: OpenBSD nitrogenium.mendeleev 7.1 GENERIC.MP#465 amd64

Recent messages:
  INFO     Scraping files for loaddefs.el...done
Loading /home/ams/loaddefs.el (source)...done
Loading /home/ams/quicklisp/slime-helper.el (source)...done
Loading /home/ams/quicklisp/clhs-use-local.el (source)...done
Loading /home/ams/private/emacs-nitrogenium.mendeleev...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --build=amd64-unknown-openbsd --without-sound
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --infodir=/usr/local/info
 --localstatedir=/var --disable-silent-rules --disable-gtk-doc
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -g' CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -g''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/loaddefs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow mailalias emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader term/screen
term/xterm xterm rcirc time-date mail-queue sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils slime-asdf grep
slime-quicklisp slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch
slime-presentations advice bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl elp slime-parse slime derived cl-extra help-mode gud
apropos compile arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline easy-mmode pp
comint ansi-color hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project
ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-bbdb company
edmacro kmacro pcase cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs autoload
radix-tree lisp-mnt finder-inf disp-table package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 190926 10037)
 (symbols 48 15424 2)
 (strings 32 47013 758)
 (string-bytes 1 1409610)
 (vectors 16 17009)
 (vector-slots 8 200499 8642)
 (floats 8 62 187)
 (intervals 56 260 129)
 (buffers 1000 12))