Subject: bug#55305: closed (Re: bug#55305: 28.0.50: With async nativecomp, package manager fails to load hyperbole-autoloads.el before compilation)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 21:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55305: 28.0.50: With async nativecomp, package manager fails to load hyperbole-autoloads.el before compilation

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55305: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55305
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55305: 28.0.50: With async nativecomp, package manager fails to load hyperbole-autoloads.el before compilation
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], Robert Weiner <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 17:36:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Robert Weiner <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 18:27:13 -0400
>> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>>  [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> 
>> Just FYI, Hyperbole used to generate the hyperbole-autoloads.el file itself and include it in the packaged release but this broke the Elpa build process.
>
> Then perhaps the ELPA build process needs to be augmented not to break
> in those cases.

I'm closing this old bug as the outcome was that the issue is not a
compiler bug.  If the ELPA infrastructure needs some improvment we
probably need a dedicated bug for that.

Happy to reopen anyway if necessary.

Bests

  Andrea

Subject: 28.0.50: With async nativecomp, package manager fails to load hyperbole-autoloads.el before compilation
From: Robert Weiner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 16:05:17 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tested under Emacs 28.1 and a recent tip of the Emacs git repo for Emacs
29 with asynchronous native compilation enabled:

M-x package-install RET hyperbole RET

fails to load the hyperbole-autoloads.el file before the
async native compiler and byte compiler produce these errors since
the autoloaded var:append function is not defined:

Warning (comp): ~/.emacs.d/elpa/hyperbole-8.0.0/hui-em-but.el: Error:
Symbol's function definition is void var:append Disable showing Disable
logging
Warning (comp): ~/.emacs.d/elpa/hyperbole-8.0.0/hui-mouse.el: Error:
Symbol's function definition is void var:append Disable showing Disable
logging
Warning (comp): ~/.emacs.d/elpa/hyperbole-8.0.0/hbut.el: Error: Symbol's
function definition is void var:append Disable showing Disable logging

The package manager definitely generates hyperbole-autoloads.el at some
point though I do not know if it is before these errors are produced.

Thanks for any help with this.

-- Bob