Subject: Re: bug#55301: 27.2; RFE: Auto-create defcustom for declared minor mode keymap

From: Phil Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 14:47:57 +0100

Not a built-in one, no, but it is not difficult to construct a composite
defcustom.  There are plenty of sequence types and a keybinding type to compose
with.

Perhaps Emacs *should* have a standard built-in keymap defcustom type, but that
would be the subject for a separate RFE.

What I am proposing is something along the lines of this: when a mode (major or
minor, it's strictly irrelevant) declares a keymap, part of the processing of
the expansion of the mode definition should include a defcustom enabling the
user to customize that keymap using the Customize UI, rather than (only) by
writing elisp code.  In other words, where foo-mode-map is currently implemented
(I assume) using a defvar, that should change to a defcustom.  That's really all
I'm suggesting: change the defvar (or whatever) to a defcustom.

On Sun, 8 May 2022 at 12:46, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Phil Hudson <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > If nobody sees any benefit from the idea, I imagine the best thing is
> > to just close this.
>
> I just don't understand the request -- we don't have a Customize
> interface for altering keymaps anyway.
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no