Subject: Re: bug#55297: [PATCH 0/10] Make adding SSL_CERT_FILE/DIR search paths easier and add some missing ones

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 17:32:16 +0200

Hi!

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This patch series adds $SSL_CERT_DIR/$SSL_CERT_FILE to youtube-dl, some
> dependents and w3m, as they respect $SSL_CERT_DIR/$SSL_CERT_FILE.
>
> To make this easier (e.g. less duplication), I moved the definition of
> $SSL_CERT_DIR/$SSL_CERT_FILE to a single location (guix search-paths)
> instead of many separate packages.
>
> This moving was previously rejected by Ludo, but that was in a
> different context, maybe in this context it's considered ok?

I don’t remember the previous discussion, but here I think it’s
reasonable.  It’s a case where, effectively, those variables that were
initially OpenSSL-specific are now honored by other pieces of software.

However, the last few patches are incorrect in that, for example, w3m
does not honor these variables by itself (its code doesn’t call getenv):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ grep -r SSL_CERT_ $(guix build -S w3m)
/gnu/store/aqdk56qa1lssjs50gvrii47ccc7ibmkp-w3m-0.5.3+git20210102-checkout/rc.c:#define CMT_SSL_CERT_FILE N_("PEM encoded certificate file of client")
/gnu/store/aqdk56qa1lssjs50gvrii47ccc7ibmkp-w3m-0.5.3+git20210102-checkout/rc.c:     CMT_SSL_CERT_FILE, NULL},
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Instead, it honors them because it’s linked against OpenSSL.

Likewise for youtube-dl & co.

So I’m omitting the last few patches that add search paths.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Ludo’.