Subject: Re: bug#55290: Broken link to Geiser User Manual

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 16:39:17 -0400

Hello Greg,

Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> At [1] the link in "see Introduction in Geiser User Manual" points to [2]
> but should link to [3].
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/The-Perfect-Setup.html
> [2] http://geiser.nongnu.org/Introduction.html#Introduction
> [3] https://geiser.nongnu.org/geiser_1.html#Introduction

Thanks for reporting this; as Ludovic hinted on #guix, this appears to
be a discrepancy between the file layout produced by makeinfo (used by
Guix) vs texi2html (used by Geiser).  This problem is briefly mentioned
in info "(texinfo)HTML Xref Mismatch".

It seems 'makeinfo' should be preferred these days, since it's now
become enough configurable and appears more actively maintained.  I've
sent a patch to Geiser to do the switch, if they accept it this problem
should be resolved [0].

[0]  https://gitlab.com/emacs-geiser/geiser/-/merge_requests/8

To be followed.

Maxim