Subject: Re: bug#55278: json-parse-string

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 19:20:33 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  >   We'd be doing
  > our users a disservice if we were to just be slow here instead of
  > telling them the real story: Build your Emacs with jansson support,
  > already.

We do not tell users that, not now.  What we tell them is that the function
`json-parse-string' is undefined.  Even when they investigate why,
it is hard to find out that this is because of a library called janssen.

The current situation shows we have failed to think in terms of
reliable clear results for the user.

If it is normal for user packages to fail to work unless Emacs is
linked with libjannson, Emacs should give an error unless libjannson
is loaded.  (Or unless the option --nojansson is explicitly given.)

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)