Subject: bug#55278: json-parse-string

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 12:27:27 +0200

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I agree that we should implement some built-in fallback mechanism
> so that it works for all packages that use json parsing.

The two libraries aren't really compatible without reparsing the entire
parse tree returned by them.  For instance, the C library returns:

(json-parse-string "null")
=> :null

While json.el says:

(json-read-from-string "null")
=> nil

Libraries like osm.el depend on the former type, and it parses a lot of
data, making compat transformations prohibitively slow.  We'd be doing
our users a disservice if we were to just be slow here instead of
telling them the real story: Build your Emacs with jansson support,
already.  (This happens by default if you have the library installed.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no