Subject: Icedove, external OpenGPG configuration and ld path

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 10:43:30 +0200

Hello everyone,

Currently, if you want to use a smart card with icedove, you have to
enable mail.openpgp.allow_external_gnupg in the config editor, but on
Guix, icedove will still not find the key that's on your smart card,
because it's unable to dlopen the GPGME library (understandably).

For now, my workaround is to launch icedove via

`LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$(guix build gpgme)/lib" icedove`

I outlined something similar to get icecat to be able to share desktops
under wayland [1], this time with the pipewire libraries.  This doesn't
seem like a great out-of-the-box experience for users, especially since
nothing indicates that this is the root of the problem.  Is there
anything we could do about this?

Adding all possible optional deps to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a wrapper seems
a bit overkill, since for example PipeWire's closure is ~800 MiB,
depending for example on X libraries, and packagers won't always be able
to find 100% of the optional deps that are dlopen'd.

WDYT?

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-04/msg00205.html
([email-masked])

-- 
Josselin Poiret