Subject: Re: bug#55249: `guix pull` crash

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 07:27:16 +0200

Hi Nathan,

I believe this was caused by a network issue (&nar-error). We lost our main server for a few hours when you tried running guix pull.

Could you try again and report success/failure?

Thanks for reporting the issue! It's much appreciated :)

On May 3, 2022 9:44:19 PM GMT+02:00, Nathan Wilcox via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just started using guix and have only used `guix pull` and `guix search`
>so far. I used `guix pull` successfully a few days ago, and decided to
>rerun it today to see if it takes less time, and it resulted in a
>stacktrace (attached).
>
>This is a foreign-distro install on Debian 10 Buster. It's running inside a
>'crostini' lxc vm built into ChromeOS.
>
>Also, while I'm here, I read about `guix shell` and it was the primary
>motivation for me to install since I wanted to do a project-specific
>dependency configuration, but after following the instructions in [1]
>running `guix shell` says `guix: shell: command not found`. I have tried
>`guix search` with various patterns (`shell`, `guix.*shell`, etc…) but I
>haven't been able to find out how to install it. Furthermore [1] introduces
>it, so I am confused if I missed some critical setup step, even though I
>followed the install section. Any advice?
>
>links:
>[1]  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Installation.html
>
>-- 
>
>Nathan Wilcox
>
>Chief Research Officer
>
>[email-masked] | @least_nathan <https://twitter.com/least_nathan>