Subject: [bug#55242] [PATCH 07/10] guix: import: go: More resilience wrt network errors; add logging.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 19:38:19 +0200

Attila Lendvai schreef op di 03-05-2022 om 17:00 [+0000]:
> a possible scenario: a large import can take several minutes.
> if there's a transient network error, then this way it may finish
> with 99% of the packages, and the rest can be restarted by hand after
> inspecting the log output.

Catching (presumably) transient network errors and reporting them with
'report-network-error' and the like: no problem.

> another scenario is that the importer is simply buggy,

... but if there's some kind of bug, why not just report and fix it?

> and the user gets 99% of the packages imported, and has to do only
> one package by hand.

If the bug is fixed, then no packages need to be done by hand and other
people will benefit as well.  Whereas if it's only for 1% and the
backtrace only happens for recursive import and not for non-recursive
or manual import, then I'd think that the chance that the user actually
reports or fixes the bug decreases a lot.

Greetings,
Maxime.