Subject: 28.1; replace-string in rectangle regio

From: Paulo Sousa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:36:46 +0100

(read text between "```" in monospaced font)

I opened a rectangle region with `C-x SPC`. I traversed left and down
(i.e. the rectangle was started in the top-right corner). Then I
replaced region and not all the occurrences were replaced. Only the
occurrences between the starting and ending position of the cursor and
inside the region.

I replaced `]` by `+1]` as:

```
                   xx]xx*<Start of the region
                   xx]xx
End of the region>*xx]xx
```
and the result was
```
xx]xx
xx+1]xx
xx]xx
```
where I would expect it to be
```
xx+1]xx
xx+1]xx
xx+1]xx
```

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33,
cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-04-20 built on frederik
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-modules
 --with-wide-int --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -g -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug
 -flto=auto' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
 -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C++//l

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  smartparens-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail cl-print debug backtrace rect
xref shortdoc help-fns radix-tree vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
flymake-cc flymake-proc flymake project warnings semantic/bovine/make
semantic/bovine/make-by make-mode misearch multi-isearch mhtml-mode
css-mode smie smartparens-javascript js smartparens-html sgml-mode
facemenu ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar org-agenda org-refile ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi smartparens-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol rx org-keys
oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
cus-start cus-load semantic/tag-write novice dabbrev face-remap
semantic/bovine/c hideif semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp
semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs smartparens-c
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs semantic/imenu semantic/sb imenu semantic/edit
semantic/tag-file semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files
semantic/wisent/python semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref compile text-property-search cl-extra semantic/dep
semantic/wisent/python-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
smartparens-python python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec comint ring ansi-color edmacro
kmacro smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens advice help-mode
thingatpt dash semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse color
semantic/idle semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
semantic/ctxt semantic/db-mode semantic/db eieio-base
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic pp semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet delsel display-line-numbers
speedbar ezimage dframe modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes pcase info
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 456867 46490)
 (symbols 48 38376 4)
 (strings 32 131759 4269)
 (string-bytes 1 4455167)
 (vectors 16 65136)
 (vector-slots 8 721867 71564)
 (floats 8 500 134)
 (intervals 56 2845 0)
 (buffers 992 33))