Subject: bug#55234: 28.1; replace-string in rectangle regio

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 14:20:43 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>   (mapcar 'car (region-bounds))

Sounds reasonable.

> > BTW, my solution to the original problem: I implemented a command
> > that lets me edit a rectangular region in a separate buffer (similar to
> > `string-edit').
>
> Isn't this a workaround?

A different approach.  Why I did this is: first, it's sometimes nice to
have a separate buffer that is like the buffer "narrowed to the
rectangular region".  Second, depending on the text structure, in some
cases the end result should be a proper rectangle again, or even a
rectangle of exactly the same dimensions.  But when you query replace,
rectangle lines may become different lengths, some may be empty, some
even longer than before etc.  My commands asks me what to do in such a
situation.

Michael.