Subject: Re: [bug#55231] [PATCH v3 2/2] doc: ‘initrd-modules’ will search‘kernel-loadable-modules’.

From: Brian Cully <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 19:11:28 -0400

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> Because #:substitutable? isn't set appropriately in dependents,
> substitute servers exist, ZFS can be used on substitute servers 
> and
> someone using the substitute server might have a sufficiently 
> similar
> system configuration to do substitution of a store item 
> containing a
> copy of the ZFS binary.

So, simply using ZFS in ‘kernel-loadable-modules’ would be enough 
to trigger this misbehavior? That sounds like a pretty serious 
issue. Would it be possible to have the substitute servers filter 
on the #:substitutable flag?

This is getting out of scope, though. I don't really want this 
patch to go in without /some/ documentation regarding how modules 
get looked up, so if anyone has an alternate module and use-case, 
I'll just swap it in for the ZFS one.

-bjc