Subject: Re: [bug#55231] [PATCH v3 2/2] doc: ‘initrd-modules’ will search‘kernel-loadable-modules’.

From: Brian Cully <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:43:33 -0400

> and because the defense for not considering the ZFS license to 
> be a
> problem consists of the ZFS module not being distributed in 
> binary
> form, whereas this suggestion would in some situations cause it 
> to be
> distributed in binary form.

If you have another example, I'll put it in instead. I used this 
one, because I know this one works, and that's all.

That said, I'm not sure how this would cause the module to be 
distributed as a binary. In order for it to be added to the 
initrd, it will still need to built using the DKMS mechanism, and 
thus compiled on (or at least for) the target Guix installation.

If the complaint is that one could generate a USB stick, or some 
such, with ZFS in the initrd, then yes, that's possible. But 
that's also possible by using the existing 
‘kernel-loadable-modules’ mechanism to generate an image with 
‘guix system image’ and distributing that. I don't think it's our 
job to try and prevent such things, since, even if desirable, it's 
not really feasible.

If the complaint is merely that it's in the documentation, then 
ok, I'll change it to whatever module you want.

-bjc