Subject: Guix offload fails to resolve hostnames

From: Simon Streit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:12:00 +0200

Hello!

After a bit of bisecting I pinned my issue down to checkout
808b9e850491c7b1d867a5f1f4d5ee6f61f345d4.  From there on any guix
offload test or status will fail if a hostname, or FQDN, is set in the
name field of a machine.  Offloads work if an IP address is set
instead.

A snip:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix offload status machines.scm testhost
guix offload: getting status of 1 build machines defined in 'machines.scm'...
guix offload: error: failed to connect to 'testhost': Connection refused
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It would be great if someone could confirm this somehow.  I've observed
this on a different host and finally got to test it on my main host
today.  Testing in a Qemu through libvirt the error behaved a bit
differently with a different error.  But I didn't follow that track
after all.  I mostly do offloading onto bare metal.

Kind regards
Simon