Subject: Re: bug#55199: 28.1; rcirc auth-source integration doesn't handle port being a number

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 17:05:40 +0200

Version: 29.1

Javier Olaechea <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Javier,

> I can confirm patch fixes the issue. I don't think we need to change
> the create function. The issue is that a valid spec, meant for another
> backend, results in an error when searching the secrets backend. 

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, the create function in auth-source.el is
rarely used, so we might live with the current implementation.

> An alternative solution would be for auth-source-secrets-search to
> return an empty list (no secrets found iirc) when the spec contains a
> non-string value. 

Perhaps. But since the patch is simple, and it is consistent with the
behavior of the plstore backend, I've applied it. I've also updated the
auth-source manual, explaining it:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   Attribute values in the auth-source spec, which are not strings (like
port numbers), are stringified prior calling the ‘secrets.el’ functions.

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Closing the bug. Change will appear with Emacs 29.

Best regards, Michael.