Subject: Re: bug#55196: 29.0.50; Unexpected pulse.el behavior in emacs-server-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:17:57 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> When starting emacs 29 with my personal configuration, I noticed, that
> `(pulse-momentary-highlight-region 0 40)` stopped flashing. It just
> highlights a certain region until I press another key.
> By further investigations I observed that without an emacs daemon
> pulse-momentary-hilight-region works as expected.
>
> Also, when starting emacs --daemon with the -Q flag, the pulse on region
> works as expected, BUT I get this in the message buffer:
>
> [nil 25197 14516 56333 0.03 pulse-tick (("#bb8cf07bbb8c" "#c264f208c264"
> "#c93cf395c93c" "#d015f522d015" "#d6edf6afd6ed" "#ddc5f83dddc5"
> "#e49df9cae49d" "#eb76fb57eb76" "#f24efce4f24e" "#f926fe71f926")
> (464806696416318637977225917387 . 281474976710656000000)) nil 0 nil]

That's the return value from the function, so Emacs will display it if
you say M-: (pulse-momentary-highlight-region 0 40) (which I assume you
have).  I.e., the message is from M-:, not from
`pulse-momentary-highlight-region'.

> So I think it's not exclusively related to my configuration. Maybe
> someone can reproduce this behavior.

If the problem is that `pulse-momentary-highlight-region' doesn't pulse
in your configuration, but does pulse with "emacs -Q", then it sounds
like the problem is with your configuration somewhere.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no