Subject: bug#55196: 29.0.50; Unexpected pulse.el behavior in emacs-server-mode

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:01:47 +0200

When starting emacs 29 with my personal configuration, I noticed, that
`(pulse-momentary-highlight-region 0 40)` stopped flashing. It just
highlights a certain region until I press another key.
By further investigations I observed that without an emacs daemon
pulse-momentary-hilight-region works as expected.

Also, when starting emacs --daemon with the -Q flag, the pulse on region
works as expected, BUT I get this in the message buffer:

[nil 25197 14516 56333 0.03 pulse-tick (("#bb8cf07bbb8c" "#c264f208c264"
"#c93cf395c93c" "#d015f522d015" "#d6edf6afd6ed" "#ddc5f83dddc5"
"#e49df9cae49d" "#eb76fb57eb76" "#f24efce4f24e" "#f926fe71f926")
(464806696416318637977225917387 . 281474976710656000000)) nil 0 nil]

So I think it's not exclusively related to my configuration. Maybe
someone can reproduce this behavior.

Thank you and kind regards 

Gregor

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.4.0, NS appkit-2113.40 Version 12.3.1 (Build 21E258))
of 2022-04-29 built on Gregors-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.3.1

Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.50/share/info/emacs
--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.0.50 --with-xml2
--with-gnutls --with-native-compilation --without-dbus
--without-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-xwidgets
--with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained 'CFLAGS=-Os -w -pipe
-march=nehalem -mmacosx-version-min=12
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX12.sdk
-I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include
-I/usr/local/opt/gmp/include -I/usr/local/opt/jpeg/include'
'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/zlib/include -I/usr/local/opt/icu4c/include
-I/usr/local/opt/sqlite/include -I/usr/local/opt/[email-masked]/include
-I/usr/local/opt/readline/include -I/usr/local/opt/libffi/include
-F/usr/local/Frameworks
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX12.sdk'
'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/zlib/lib -L/usr/local/opt/icu4c/lib
-L/usr/local/opt/sqlite/lib -L/usr/local/opt/[email-masked]/lib
-L/usr/local/opt/readline/lib -L/usr/local/opt/libffi/lib
-L/usr/local/lib -F/usr/local/Frameworks
-Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names
-isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX12.sdk
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc/11 -I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include
-I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include -I/usr/local/opt/gmp/include
-I/usr/local/opt/jpeg/include''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search seq gv byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils ispell pulse color time-date
subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib server iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 67164 11524)
(symbols 48 5965 0)
(strings 32 18413 1582)
(string-bytes 1 610419)
(vectors 16 12476)
(vector-slots 8 292016 16991)
(floats 8 99 77)
(intervals 56 333 0)
(buffers 992 13))