Subject: Re: bug#55194: 29.0.50; Current master fails to bootstrap in the native-compilation configuration

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:27:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> As Subject says: I cannot bootstrap the current master configure with
> native-compilation on GNU/Linux.  The last part of the build before
> the failure is attached; it seems to have something to do with if-let
> called in files.el, although that code is very old, and if-let is an
> autoloaded macro.  Could this have something to do with the latest
> changes regarding oclosure etc.?

No, I think it's just the usual "don't load subr-x during bootstrap"
problem.  I've now rewritten the offending function.

> P.S. Why do we call macros from subr-x, which is not preloaded, in
> files.el, which _is_ preloaded?

I think that's fine, so long as the subr-x isn't loaded during
bootstrap.  If I remember correctly.

However, I think it's high time that we put the if-let family of macros
into subr.  However, that doesn't seem to be trivial -- I tried now and
that broke bootstrap, too.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no