Subject: 29.0.50; Current master fails to bootstrap in the native-compilation configuration

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:27:16 -0400

As Subject says: I cannot bootstrap the current master configure with
native-compilation on GNU/Linux.  The last part of the build before
the failure is attached; it seems to have something to do with if-let
called in files.el, although that code is very old, and if-let is an
autoloaded macro.  Could this have something to do with the latest
changes regarding oclosure etc.?

The system configuration is as shown below, but with native-compilation
enabled.

P.S. Why do we call macros from subr-x, which is not preloaded, in
files.el, which _is_ preloaded?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 46, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2022-04-30 built on maintain0p.gnu.org
Repository revision: c1fa5bd8ee3c7f37a9b9304eab6b522cf8718472
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Etiona (9.0.2)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no --with-jpeg=no
 --with-xpm=ifavailable --with-modules --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils term/xterm xterm seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv server time cus-load savehist saveplace iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice simple cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 56423 6197)
 (symbols 48 6938 1)
 (strings 32 18595 687)
 (string-bytes 1 585015)
 (vectors 16 9448)
 (vector-slots 8 109991 8462)
 (floats 8 29 338)
 (intervals 56 213 0)
 (buffers 992 8))