Subject: bug#55192: 13.1.3; aspell does not work in AUCTeX buffer

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 14:07:48 +0900

Hi Uwe,

>>>>> Uwe Siart <[email-masked]> writes:
> I'm using aspell with Emacs. When I try to do spell checking in a LaTeX
> file (e.g. ispell-word) I keep getting the error message "No Ispell
> process to read output from!"

> I can't tell if it's an AUCTeX bug. But aspell works as expected with
> .txt files in text-mode. The reported error occurs only in latex-mode.
> That's why I'm reporting it here.

> Any ideas what could go wrong?

A similar issue was reported last August[1], but it didn't get resolved.

There were reports of another type that aspell crashes (or freezes) on
TeX buffer[2][3].

All these issues are on windows, so I guess something is broken in the
implementation of "tex mode" of ispell which only appears on windows. In
the thread [3], Brian told me that
> It seems to work if line 4084 of ispell.el is commented:
>       ;;     (ispell-send-string "+\n")    ; set ispell mode to tex
... oh I realized now that he sent this message as private reply, not as
group reply, so this information wasn't recorded in the archive...

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex/2021-08/msg00004.html
[2] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20755
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex/2021-03/msg00011.html