Subject: Re: bug#55169: Can't combine window-min-height with window-height

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 10:19:20 +0200

> I have an example only for 'fit-window-to-buffer':
 >
 >    (pop-to-buffer (generate-new-buffer "*edit string*")
 >                   '(display-buffer-below-selected
 >                     (window-height . (lambda (window)
 >                                        (fit-window-to-buffer window nil 10)))))

I meant an example for how to put a lambda into 'display-buffer-alist'.

In either case, I still think we should provide an option where we pass
the window _and_ the alist to that function.  Your example illustrates
well that we cannot integrate a user supplied 'window-min-height' entry
say into the application provided lambda.  Vice versa, user supplied
functions cannot interact with application provided 'window-min-height'
entries.

Think of an application suggesting 'fit-window-to-buffer' with some
'window-min-height' value and a user who wants to use
'shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer' instead but still use the
'window-min-height' value proposed by the application.  How would we do
that?

 > I wonder why other 'display-buffer-*' function wouldn't need the same?

All of 'display-buffer-same-window', 'display-buffer-reuse-window' and
'display-buffer-pop-up-window' should get the same treatment, probably.

martin