Subject: bug#55163: 29.0.50; master 4a1f69ebca (TICKS . HZ) for current-time broke lsp-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:15:16 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> It sounds like the idea here is to use the prefix 'time' for
> time-related functions. Although I prefixed 'time-' to names of the
> time functions I added a few years ago (e.g., time-convert) I'm a bit
> leery about using the very-generic name 'time' for a new
> function. It's probably better to use a hyphenated name.

Yes, `time' as a function name does sound a bit...  dramatic.  On the
other hand, it looks kinda nice in things like (time-less-p thing (time)),
etc.

> For consistent naming, we could borrow names from GNU/Linux and POSIX,
> which have CLOCK_REALTIME, CLOCK_MONOTONIC,
> CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID. For example, we could have:
>
> * (clock-realtime) returns the system-wide clock. It acts like
>   (time-convert nil t), i.e., like (current-time) but returning (TICKS
>   . HZ) form.

clock- as a prefix does make a lot of sense, but I think I'd interpret
that as "realtime" as something having to do with scheduling, and
"clock" perhaps as a localised time (i.e., "the wall clock in time zone
foo").

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no