Subject: Re: bug#55163: 29.0.50; master 4a1f69ebca (TICKS . HZ) for current-time broke lsp-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:10:18 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> But before we implement a separate primitive for each attribute, we
> should ask ourselves: what are the use cases where a Lisp program
> would want to use such a primitive.  Taking the file's modification
> time as an example, are there any important use cases except
> determining if a file is older or newer than another?  Because we
> already have a primitive for that.

It's common to get a list of files (including modtime) and then offer to
sort the files in various ways.

My overall point here was simply: If we're going to institute some
interface changes in how we deal with time (in general, and I think we
probably should because of resolution and efficiency issues), it's an
opportunity to look at the wider ecosystem of functionality in this
area, and see whether we can improve other things at the same time.
`file-attributes' seems like an obvious low-hanging fruit.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no