Subject: bug#55156: [PATCH] eval.c: New functions `defvar-f` and `defconst-f`

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:10:40 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

We don't have a convention of an `-f' suffix in function names.
That form of name is extra cryptic.
Let's choose names that follow some existing pattern
rather than being inconsistent with old practice.

I suggest `defvar-internal', since it isn't meant for users to call.
Even `defvar-function' would be better than `defvar-f'.

For the doc string, it is better to say in a self-contained way what
the function does, rather than only make an analogy.

How about this:

   Define the variable VAR, with initial value INITVAL and doc string DOC.

Note that `defvar', being a special form, can distinguish between nil
as INITVAL and having only one argument.  However, a function cannot
do that: it will treat those two cases the same.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)