Subject: [bug#55152] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-soothe-theme.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 12:27:29 +0200

Hello,

Adam Kandur <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm (emacs-soothe-theme): New variable.

Thank you. Sorry for the delay. Some comments follow.

> +(define-public emacs-soothe-theme
> +  (let ((commit "0786fe70c6c1b4ddcfb932fdc6862b9611cfc09b")
> +        (revision "0"))
> +    (package
> +      (name "emacs-soothe-theme")
> +      (version (git-version "0.1" revision commit))

Where does this "0.1" come from? According to "soothe-theme.el" and
Changelog, version is 20141027.2233.

Also, I suggest to stick to commit hash
0568a61eeec0b074d8911886359a6c5da13d14cb, which is the penultimate
commit, but matches version bump. You don't need to use `git-version'
then.

> +      (source
> +       (origin
> +	 (method git-fetch)
> +	 (uri (git-reference
> +	       (url "https://github.com/emacsfodder/emacs-soothe-theme.git")

You can drop the ".git" suffix from the URL.

> +	       (commit commit)))
> +	 (file-name (git-file-name name version))
> +	 (sha256
> +	  (base32 "10gh1hvxq9gm29r6qzlnva7vjidd7n4kih4z2ihyvbvy9za20xqw"))))
> +      (build-system emacs-build-system)
> +      (home-page "https://github.com/emacsfodder/emacs-soothe-theme.git")
> +      (synopsis "A colorful, but muted theme for Emacs 24, dark background with light text")

Synopsis must not start with an article. I would also remove reference
to Emacs 24, which is unimportant in Guix.

> +      (description
> +       "An amalgam of muted color tones and highlighted backgrounds.  Builtin support 
> +for rainbow-delimiters, org-mode, whitespace-mode, ECB, flyspell, ido, linum, highlight
> +indentation, show-paren-mode, further mode support to come.")

Description must contain complete sentence only. So it should be "Soothe
theme is an amalgam…".

Also (nitpick) major mode are usually capitalized and un-hyphenized at
least in the Emacs manual. So: Rainbom delimiters, Org mode, Whitespace
mode, Flyspell, Ido, Linum…

Since the project hasn't seen any commit in the last 7 years, maybe
"further mode support to come" should be removed.

> +      (license license:gpl3+))))

License seems to be gpl3, not gpl3+.

Could you send an updated patch?

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou