Subject: bug#55135: 28.1; Flymake's mode-line lighter

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:46:16 -0400

I'd like to change the lighter of Flymake so that instead of "Flymake"
it says "🪰" (a fly emoji).

I thought this would be easy, then saw flymake-mode-line-format and then
flymake-mode-line-title and thought I could just change that.  Then I saw
it defaults to (:eval (flymake--mode-line-title)) and it's involved with its
keymaps and help etc.  Then I read Bug #33740 so I'm sorry if this
causes anyone flashbacks.  :)

I'd just like the hardcoded string "Flymake" in flymake--mode-line-title
to be changed to a variable I could set.  I'm fine with everything else
flymake puts in the mode line. I just want it shorter

    (defun flymake--mode-line-title ()
      `(:propertize
        "Flymake"       <---- make this variable

With a variable, other people could change it to "FM" if they don't
like using emoji :)  As it stands now I've copied the defun of
flymake--mode-line-title into my init to change the string.

Howard

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
of 2022-04-04 built on builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.6.5