Subject: Guix on Linode update

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 20:46:32 -0700

Hi,

Attached please find three small suggestions for the Cookbook entry on
how to boot Guix on a Linode. [1] I built it in a pure environment.
The result looked fine with 'info -f'.

Also, as a courtesy I would have copied the authors of a related blog
post [2] but I was not sure whether this message would be public.

Thanks for considering, and also thanks for the neat OS!

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Running-Guix-on-a-Linode-Server.html
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/running-guix-system-on-a-linode-server/
From d87346efa65067f0dff58c59d76d70862c7d5fc3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 15:37:06 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Three minor clarifications in Linode recipe.

At first, I right over the remninder to make the Guix disk available as
/dev/sdc in Debian. This makes it more explicit.

The "swap-devices" usage was adapted to the expectations in more recent
versions of Guix.

Finally, the location of the home directory also contains the ficticious user
"janedoe" and should likewise be changed to an actual user name.
---
 doc/guix-cookbook.texi | 9 +++++----
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix-cookbook.texi b/doc/guix-cookbook.texi
index b4dc9f864c..6b27e01dab 100644
--- a/doc/guix-cookbook.texi
+++ b/doc/guix-cookbook.texi
@@ -2062,7 +2062,8 @@ Filesystem: ext4
 Set it to the remaining size
 @end itemize
 
-In the Configurations tab, press "Edit" on the default Debian profile.
+Next, make the new "Guix" disk available in your Debian profile.
+In the "Configurations" tab, press "Edit" on the default Debian profile.
 Under "Block Device Assignment" click "Add a Device". It should be
 @file{/dev/sdc} and you can select the "Guix" disk. Save Changes.
 
@@ -2136,9 +2137,8 @@ is below. Save the resulting file as @file{guix-config.scm}.
                         (type "ext4"))
                       %base-file-systems))
 
-
-  (swap-devices (list "/dev/sdb"))
-
+  (swap-devices (list (swap-space
+                       (target "/dev/sdb"))))
 
   (initrd-modules (cons "virtio_scsi"    ; Needed to find the disk
                         %base-initrd-modules))
@@ -2175,6 +2175,7 @@ Replace the following fields in the above configuration:
 ; use tzselect to find a correct timezone string
 (timezone "America/New_York") ; if needed replace timezone
 (name "janedoe")              ; replace with your username
+(home-directory "/home/janedoe")) ; replace with your home directory
 ("janedoe" ,(local-file "janedoe_rsa.pub")) ; replace with your ssh key
 ("root" ,(local-file "janedoe_rsa.pub")) ; replace with your ssh key
 @end lisp
-- 
2.30.2