Subject: Re: bug#55082: emacs-28.1-installer.exe not signed by Phillip Lord

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 01:31:58 -0500

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 1:22 AM Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 1:16 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > It might be shorter, but it says nothing about the zip file, and IMO
> > this is important, especially for people who are uneasy running
> > executables downloaded from Web sites, or running installers in
> > general.  (It is okay, IMO, to mention the installer version first and
> > the zip version second, though.)
>
> Thanks for these very helpful comments; I'll work up a new patch.

A next patch attempt is quoted below and included as an attachment.

--- download.html.orig  2022-04-23 15:19:55.160069600 -0500
+++ download.html       2022-04-24 01:29:10.486570000 -0500
@@ -145,9 +145,11 @@
                         GNU mirror</a>; or the <a
href="http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/">main
                         GNU FTP server</a>.
                       <br/>
-                      Unzip the zip file preserving the directory
structure, and run
-                      <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>.  Alternatively,
create a desktop shortcut to
-                      <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>, and start Emacs
by double-clicking on that
+                      Mostly simply, download and run the
emacs-<code>version</code>-installer.exe
+                      which will install Emacs and create shortcuts
for you.  Alternately, download
+                      emacs-<code>version</code>.zip then unzip,
preserving the directory structure.
+                      You can then run <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>
or create a desktop shortcut to
+                      <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code> and start Emacs
by double-clicking on that
                       shortcut's icon.
                     </p>