Subject: Re: bug#55082: emacs-28.1-installer.exe not signed by Phillip Lord

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:34:16 -0500

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 3:06 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> What kind of information did you have in mind?  I think that web page
> should be kept as concise as possible, with the bare minimum of talk
> beyond how to download things on various platforms.

Right, and I tend to agree FWIW.

Here's one option that reduces things further:

--- download.html.orig  2022-04-23 15:19:55.160069600 -0500
+++ download.html       2022-04-23 15:28:26.108068700 -0500
@@ -145,10 +145,9 @@
                         GNU mirror</a>; or the <a
href="http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/">main
                         GNU FTP server</a>.
                       <br/>
-                      Unzip the zip file preserving the directory
structure, and run
-                      <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>.  Alternatively,
create a desktop shortcut to
-                      <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>, and start Emacs
by double-clicking on that
-                      shortcut's icon.
+                      Binaries are provided in several forms.  Most
simply, download and run the
+                     emacs-<code>version</code>-installer.exe which
will install Emacs and
+                     create shortcuts for you.
                     </p>

                     <p>The Windows binaries are signed by Corwin

Here's a  less intrusive alternative, attempting to minimally add
mention of the self-installer:

--- download.html.orig  2022-04-23 15:19:55.160069600 -0500
+++ download.html       2022-04-23 15:31:50.015567900 -0500
@@ -146,9 +146,11 @@
                         GNU FTP server</a>.
                       <br/>
                       Unzip the zip file preserving the directory
structure, and run
-                      <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>.  Alternatively,
create a desktop shortcut to
+                      <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>.  You can create
a desktop shortcut to
                       <code>bin\runemacs.exe</code>, and start Emacs
by double-clicking on that
-                      shortcut's icon.
+                      shortcut's icon.  Alternately, download and run the
+                     emacs-<code>version</code>-installer.exe which
will install Emacs and
+                     create shortcuts for you.
                     </p>

                     <p>The Windows binaries are signed by Corwin

Patches for both versions are attached.