Subject: Re: bug#55080: [PATCH shepherd] service: Gracefully handle non-existing log directories.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:18:58 +0200

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am Sonntag, dem 01.05.2022 um 15:32 +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> > 
>> > > Did you encounter this issue while working on services?
>> > > 
>> > > Am I right that the Shepherd 0.8 had the same problem?
>> > It might be, I don't know.  I've encountered this for non-existing
>> > log directory, so a reproducer would be setting #:log-file to
>> > $test-tmp-directory/does-not-exist/log and check for each service.
>> 
>> Usually /var/log and similar directories are created not by shepherd
>> but by Guix System, the distro being used, or whatever.  That’s why I
>> wonder if it’s shepherd’s job to do that.
> Hmm, it might not be.  Still, I wouldn't like shepherd to fail in such
> a weird manner if the log file can't be created.

I reread this thread and I concur.  Patch finally pushed as
b0d3f625543bcb32e94167c27cba153f9fc03acd.

Thanks,
Ludo’.