Subject: Re: bug#55080: [PATCH shepherd] service: Gracefully handle non-existing log directories.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 15:32:35 +0200

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am Samstag, dem 30.04.2022 um 16:15 +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:

[...]

>> Did you encounter this issue while working on services?
>> 
>> Am I right that the Shepherd 0.8 had the same problem?
> It might be, I don't know.  I've encountered this for non-existing log
> directory, so a reproducer would be setting #:log-file to $test-tmp-
> directory/does-not-exist/log and check for each service.

Usually /var/log and similar directories are created not by shepherd but
by Guix System, the distro being used, or whatever.  That’s why I wonder
if it’s shepherd’s job to do that.

I was asking how you encountered it to better understand in which
circumstances the problem can occur in practice and what the failure
more is like.

Thanks,
Ludo’.