Subject: Re: bug#55077: 28.1; Cursor is broken on Emacs 28.1 (Windows)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 12:08:59 +0300

> From: Daniel Alejandro Tapia <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 02:25:14 -0500
> 
> The cursor in Emacs 28.1 on Windows is broken. I want a blinking
> cursor. To get a blinking cursor, I have to disable cursor blinking. In
> other words, the function is set up backwards. I cannot get a box
> cursor. Only a line cursor is available to me. Sometimes I see cursor
> artifacts on the screen.
> 
> These problems do not exist in Cygwin's 28.1. There, the cursor in Emacs works as it
> should. I have tested GNU's own 28.1 .exe and another one compiled by a Reddit
> user who made native compiles with AOT, and both have the same cursor
> problems on Windows.

I cannot reproduce this.  The cursor blinks for me on MS-Windows as
expected.

Some questions:

  . does the problem happen if you invoke "emacs -Q"?
  . are you invoking the GUI version of Emacs or the text-terminal
    version (by using the -nw command-line switch)?
  . what kind of "line cursor" do you see? is it a vertical line or a
    horizontal line? what is the value of the cursor-type variable?
  . do you have w32-use-visible-system-caret customized to a non-nil
    value?

By default, Emacs's cursor only blinks 10 times and then stops; it
resumes blinking after some input event.  Are you sure what you see is
not this behavior?

Thanks.