Subject: bug#55077: closed (Re: bug#55077: 28.1; Cursor is broken on Emacs 28.1 (Windows))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:45:01 +0000

Your bug report

#55077: 28.1; Cursor is broken on Emacs 28.1 (Windows)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55077: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55077
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55077: 28.1; Cursor is broken on Emacs 28.1 (Windows)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Alejandro Tapia <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:44:15 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Daniel Alejandro Tapia <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:34:02 -0500
> 
> I'm so, so sorry.
> 
> (setq w32-use-visible-system-caret nil) is what I needed !! I didn't know that was a thing, I never had to use
> it before. thank you so much and apologies again.
> 
> (that fixed everything: the box ,the missing color, the blinking, the artifacts)

No need to be sorry.  I'm glad you have your problems fixed.

I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 28.1; Cursor is broken on Emacs 28.1 (Windows)
From: Daniel Alejandro Tapia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 02:25:14 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The cursor in Emacs 28.1 on Windows is broken. I want a blinking
cursor. To get a blinking cursor, I have to disable cursor blinking. In
other words, the function is set up backwards. I cannot get a box
cursor. Only a line cursor is available to me. Sometimes I see cursor
artifacts on the screen.

These problems do not exist in Cygwin's 28.1. There, the cursor in Emacs
works as it
should. I have tested GNU's own 28.1 .exe and another one compiled by a
Reddit
user who made native compiles with AOT, and both have the same cursor
problems on Windows.

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 52, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-04-04 built on AVALON
Repository revision: 5a223c7f2ef4c31abbd46367b6ea83cd19d30aa7
Repository branch: heads/emacs-28.1
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19043
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19043.1645)

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ESN
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs
cl-lib Modus-HL-theme iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify
w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 62396 6437)
 (symbols 48 6724 1)
 (strings 32 21203 2016)
 (string-bytes 1 691762)
 (vectors 16 14797)
 (vector-slots 8 244958 16982)
 (floats 8 26 40)
 (intervals 56 232 0)
 (buffers 992 12))