Subject: Re: bug#55068: 29.0.50; crashes when trying to set default font

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 20:40:02 +0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Nope; no crashes with that patch, thanks.
>
> (Side note: It is pretty slow, though -- popping up and closing the menu
> both takes about five seconds on this laptop, so perhaps it should limit
> the number of entries in one way or another.  And...  the family names
> aren't sorted alphabetically?  And it looks like I'm getting several
> instances of each family -- it's so slow that it's a bit painful to
> scroll through, but I'm getting several instances of "Lato", for
> instance, at arbitrary places in the list.)

Yes, I agree completely.  Allocating 20 MB to generate a popup menu also
seems excessive, but we don't have a way of "lazy-loading" menus at
present.

But for now let's just avoid the crash.  I will try to think up
something later that doesn't involve selecting through many different
layers of menus.

Thanks for testing.