Subject: bug#55042: closed (Re: bug#55042: python-scipy breaks login on foreign distro)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 02:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55042: python-scipy breaks login on foreign distro

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55042: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55042
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55042: python-scipy breaks login on foreign distro
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 22:52:21 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 17:40, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> It's probably XDG_DATA_DIRS; could you try unsetting it?  See the old
>> bug #26202, which looks like a duplicate to me.
>
> Indeed, it seems a duplicate.  Note that I cannot reproduce on Debian,
> as I wrote [1].

I've tested multiple times now that the XDG_DATA_DIRS issue causing this
kind of problem has been resolved with
23aafc800c9e678662766440916449ec5bbce830.

Closing.
-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: python-scipy breaks login on foreign distro
From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:07:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Running Guix on the top of Ubuntu, GDM refuses to log in if the package
“python-scipy” is installed and its profile sourced.

Basically, consider

    mkdir -p ~/.config/guix/profiles
    guix package -i python-scipy -p ~/.config/guix/profiles/python

Then also consider that the file ~/.bash_profile contains:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
GUIX_PROFILE=~/.config/guix/profiles/python
. $GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

which basically export:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
export PATH="${GUIX_PROFILE:-/gnu/store/qij79rxcr8jpjzh1rqv63ckajvivdxfn-profile}/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${GUIX_PROFILE:-/gnu/store/qij79rxcr8jpjzh1rqv63ckajvivdxfn-profile}/share${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}$XDG_DATA_DIRS"
export GI_TYPELIB_PATH="${GUIX_PROFILE:-/gnu/store/qij79rxcr8jpjzh1rqv63ckajvivdxfn-profile}/lib/girepository-1.0${GI_TYPELIB_PATH:+:}$GI_TYPELIB_PATH"
export GUIX_PYTHONPATH="${GUIX_PROFILE:-/gnu/store/qij79rxcr8jpjzh1rqv63ckajvivdxfn-profile}/lib/python3.9/site-packages${GUIX_PYTHONPATH:+:}$GUIX_PYTHONPATH"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Well, I do not know where does the issue come from.  From my
understanding, the issue is potentially because GI_TYPELIB_PATH.

Compare:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ls /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/
AccountsService-1.0.typelib  PackageKitGlib-1.0.typelib  UnityExtras-7.0.typelib
AppIndicator3-0.1.typelib    Unity-7.0.typelib

$ ls ~/.config/guix/profiles/python/lib/girepository-1.0
cairo-1.0.typelib       GIRepository-2.0.typelib  Vulkan-1.0.typelib
DBus-1.0.typelib        GL-1.0.typelib            win32-1.0.typelib
DBusGLib-1.0.typelib    GLib-2.0.typelib          xfixes-4.0.typelib
fontconfig-2.0.typelib  GModule-2.0.typelib       xft-2.0.typelib
freetype2-2.0.typelib   GObject-2.0.typelib       xlib-2.0.typelib
Gio-2.0.typelib         libxml2-2.0.typelib       xrandr-1.3.typelib
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And note that ’python-scipy’ propagates X11, for some reasons.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ls -1 ~/.config/guix/profiles/python/lib/ | grep X11
libX11.la
libX11.so
libX11.so.6
libX11.so.6.4.0
libX11-xcb.la
libX11-xcb.so
libX11-xcb.so.1
libX11-xcb.so.1.0.0
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Cheers,
simon