Subject: bug#55041: 28.1; repeat-mode always prints message when enabled

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:30:42 -0400

On Jun 22, 2022, at 9:30 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I could inhibit messages for those two but it seems a little messy.
> 
> Please don't: those messages are both informative and important.

The context was in my own config.

Could you explain why you find them important?  Why is it important
that I know recent is trimming some items when it reaches its max
limit?  That's just normal behavior.

Why is it important I know how many commands repeat-mode affects?
Other minor-modes (like cua-mode) don't tell me or log how many
bindings they provide.  And the "see describe-repeat-maps" point is in
the command's docstring which is the most natural place for it.

Both of these strike me as useful only when debugging.

To sum up so far:

Juri> This is exactly the reason why it outputs its statistics to *Messages*,

Juri> But if the majority will prefer to remove it, then I could
Juri> commit such a patch.  So we need just one additional vote that
Juri> supports this change :)

Howard> I also found that recentf does something similar.  So if a few
Howard> things give these informational messages (particularly to
Howard> *Messages*) then I have no complaints.  Seeing just the one I
Howard> thought it might be violating a convention.  Feel free to
Howard> close this.

But clearly I don't find these message useful :)

Lars> I vote for keeping the message, but I have no strong opinion.

Lars> I can't remember what my reasoning was back then, and looking at
Lars> it again, I agree with you -- it doesn't really seem very useful
Lars> to a user.

StefanK> Personally, I think we should remove both the recentf-mode
StefanK> and repeat-mode messages here.  I don't find either of them
StefanK> very helpful or interesting.

Eli> Please don't: those messages are both informative and important.

Howard