Subject: Re: bug#55039: [PATCH] Use VC-relative file names in ChangeLog entries

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 21:23:38 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 18:27:18 +0000
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> >> I've just remove the changes to the manual from my patch.
>> >
>> > Why?  That was nowhere near what I intended to say with the above
>> > comments, which were minor.
>> 
>> It wasn't because of your comments, rather I just felt mentioning it was
>> too clumsy, and a few others said they didn't feel it was necessary to
>> mention the option in the manual.  But if you think that it should be
>> added, then I'll try it again and take your comments into account.
>
> Yes, I think it should be in the manual.  But if you'd rather leave
> that to me, I'm fine with that.

Here is my latest attempt (will merge it into the patch):

diff --git a/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi b/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi
index 343cc83ce5..f16d0a922e 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi
@@ -694,7 +694,10 @@ Log Buffer
 (@code{log-edit-generate-changelog-from-diff}), to generate skeleton
 ChangeLog entries, listing all changed file and function names based
 on the diff of the VC fileset.  Consecutive entries left empty will be
-combined by @kbd{C-q} (@code{fill-paragraph}).
+combined by @kbd{C-q} (@code{fill-paragraph}).  By default the
+skeleton will just include the file name, without any leading
+directories.  If you wish to prepend the leading directories up to the
+VC root, customize @code{diff-add-log-use-relative-names}.
 
 @kindex C-c C-a @r{(Log Edit mode)}
 @findex log-edit-insert-changelog