Subject: Re: bug#55039: [PATCH] Use VC-relative file names in ChangeLog entries

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 14:24:16 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 13:13:01 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Second, I think the code should DTRT if there's already a ChangeLog
> > file in the current directory or in one of its parent directories,
> > because those usually show you the project's conventions.
> 
> This would be a separate issue, though?  (And I agree that it would be
> nice to have, but it doesn't sound trivial to implement.)

The proposed feature isn't optional, it unconditionally changes the
behavior.  AFAIU, it will change the way file names are mentioned in
log messages regardless of anything.  Does it sound right to you?

IOW, providing a new feature in response to a request is fine, but why
immediately make it the default, and why force it on everyone without
any fire escape?

So if we are not going to teach this feature to look at exiting
ChangeLog files, at the very l;east this feature should be optional,
perhaps off by default.

And btw, this only changes the behavior of one command, but AFAIK
there are other commands that produce ChangeLog-style entries -- what
about them?