Subject: bug#55025: closed (Re: [PATCH] New "posix" automake option.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 22:41:03 +0000

Your bug report

#55025: Automake should allow one to enable POSIX make behavior

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55025: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55025
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH] New "posix" automake option.
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 16:40:32 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I installed your patch (and added a tiny test case). Thanks Vincent!
Closing this bug (finally ...). -k

Subject: Automake should allow one to enable POSIX make behavior
From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:33:48 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/make.html
says about the target rules:

  .POSIX
    The application shall ensure that this special target is specified
    without prerequisites or commands. If it appears as the first
    non-comment line in the makefile, /make/ shall process the makefile
    as specified by this section; otherwise, the behavior of /make/ is
    unspecified.

But even though one may add a .POSIX target as the first non-comment
line in one's Makefile.am file, Automake will add various non-comment
lines before this target in the generated Makefile. I received a
remark about that for GNU MPFR. Though GNU make does not require
this target to be the first non-comment line, this may matter with
other make implementations.

This could be done either by detecting a .POSIX target in Makefile.am
or with some AM_* macro in the configure.ac file.

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)