Subject: error compiling emacs 28.1

From: robin hankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:03:07 +1200

Ubuntu 20.04. I downloaded emacs-28.1.tar.gz and untarred it and changed
to the correct directory.  Then:

./configure
./make

configure finished without error.  But make failed:

[snip]
e[2]: Leaving directory '/home/rhankin/Downloads/emacs-28.1/admin/unidata'
make -C ../admin/unidata emoji-zwj.el
make[2]: Entering directory
'/home/rhankin/Downloads/emacs-28.1/admin/unidata'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'emoji-zwj.el'.
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/home/rhankin/Downloads/emacs-28.1/admin/unidata'
  CCLD     temacs
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined
reference to `hb_ot_layout_script_select_language'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined
reference to `hb_blob_create_from_file'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined
reference to `hb_ot_var_named_instance_get_design_coords'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined
reference to `hb_ot_tags_from_script_and_language'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined
reference to `hb_ot_var_get_axis_infos'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined reference
to `hb_buffer_set_invisible_glyph'
/usr/bin/ld: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: undefined
reference to `hb_ot_metrics_get_position'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:647: temacs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/rhankin/Downloads/emacs-28.1/src'
make: *** [Makefile:449: src] Error 2
rhankin@limpet:~/Downloads/emacs-28.1$

I would expect a successful ./configure to result in compilation, not an
error.

<[email-masked]>